Girl suffers severe burns doing popular DIY science project

Posted March 30, 2017

Parents are being warned about a popular kids craft that can be downright unsafe after an 11-year-old MA girl was badly burned making slime.

"She was crying in pain, 'my hands hurt, my hands hurt, '" Quinn said in an interview with ABC News affiliate WCVB on Monday.

Siobhan Quinn said that her daughter had made the slime multiple times before without issue.

Doctors determined her blisters came from extended exposure to Borax, which is an ingredient in homemade slime.

"We made it a million times, too, and nothing happened", Quinn told WCVB.

"In some ways, I'm not really surprised because, prolonged contact with any kind of chemical can lead to either chemical burns or an allergic reaction", said Dr. Max Gomez.

Jon Rahm smashes 426-yard drive at WGC-Dell Match Play Championship
He was 2-down through 15 and had a chance to cut the margin on 16, but missed an eagle putt that would have won the hole. But he's the best player in the world right now and has looked unstoppable over the last four days.

"I went and bought DeeJay all the ingredients and let her make it. 3 weeks later we are looking at plastic surgery on her hands from a burns department at Hospital".

Kathleen has had to wear splints to straighten her hands and could require surgery if that treatment is not effective, according to Siobhan. While Kathleen was at a sleepover, she woke up in extreme pain.

Sodium borate, also known as Borax, is typically used as a household cleaner and the label warns customers to not eat the substance and to keep it away from their eyes. One classic chemistry project that's been making the rounds of late is homemade "slime", which is concocted using a simple glue and water mixture. And most children make it and play with it over and over and never suffer any injuries. "I feel like the worst mother". It left blisters on her hands. However, just because it's safe for use in those applications does not mean it's safe to use for other purposes, such as making homemade slime, Consumer Reports told NBC News.

YouTube also has multiple videos on making slime without the use of Borax.

"We decided to make this recipe because slime is such a huge trend right now, " Buzzfeed senior producer Erin Phraner said on TODAY.