North Korea test-fired a ballistic missile into the sea off its east coast on Wednesday, South Korea's military said, ahead of a summit between USA and Chinese leaders who are set to discuss Pyongyang's arms program. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson acknowledged the launch in a remarkably brief statement.
From previous year, North Korea took the rare step of publicizing images of its missile equipment tests, convincing analysts that Pyongyang's banned program was further along toward successfully testing an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) than first thought.
In a separate phone conversation between South Korea's National Security Council Chairman Kim Kwan-jin and US national security adviser H.R. McMaster, the two countries agreed to seek ways to strengthen sanctions against North Korea for its missile test, according to a presidential Blue House statement Thursday.
The firing was made as South Korean and USA troops were conducting annual military drills that the North views as an invasion rehearsal. This is according to the USA military. According to Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the ruling party, new kinds of strategic weapons will soar if the US and South Korea will continue the annual war drills, Yonhap News reported.
Unlike a liquid-fuel missile that takes time to erect and fuel, activities which "we can watch", mobile solid-fuel weapons are more hard to track, he said. While submarines are a stealthy way to do that, North Korea doesn't have enough of them. While submarines are also a stealthy way to do that, North Korea doesn't have enough of them.
South Korea's Foreign Ministry called the North's latest missile launch a "reckless provocation" that posed a threat to worldwide peace, while Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the country lodged a strong protest over the launch. "We have no further comment".
Alabama Supreme Court: Bentley's impeachment hearings can proceed
Robert Bentley speaks during a news conference on Friday, April 7, 2017, outside the Alabama Capitol building in Montgomery, Ala. But Montgomery County Circuit Judge Roman Shaul said his inclination "at this point would not be to restrain this report".
The hardened US stance followed recent North Korean missile launches that Pyongyang described as practice for an attack on USA bases in Japan.
After Financial Times published its interview with Trump on Sunday, Gen. John Hyten, the commander of US Strategic Command, was quick to assure that any option to address North Korea's nuclear program would have to involve China.
The missile in North Korea's latest launch didn't fly very far, but it may have been the second test of a technology that worries experts. "We need to balance the interest of each side". The United States, South Korea and others call North Korea's space program a cover for its long-range missile development program.
The missile was launched near Sinpo on the eastern coast and flew for nine minutes over 60km yesterday morning, drawing condemnation from South Korea and Japan.
North Korea has carried out its latest missile launch ahead of a US-China meeting where Kim Jong-Un's aggression is expected to be high on the agenda.
North Korea often responds to the drills with its own military training and harsh rhetoric. Earlier in March, North Korea fired four ballistic missiles that flew about 1,000 kilometres (620 miles), with three of them landing in waters that Japan claims as its exclusive economic zone.