Yemen TV reports 14 civilians killed in Saudi airstrike

Posted August 27, 2017

Fifty-eight civilians have been killed - including 42 by the Saudi-led coalition - between August 17 and 24, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights reports.

For the second time this week, Saudi warplanes have conducted airstrikes against the Yemeni capital city of Sanaa, hitting residential buildings and killing a substantial number of civilians.

Aid groups said on Wednesday, the Saudi-led coalition air strike on the outskirts of Yemen's capital, Sanaa, killed 39.

"In all these cases in which civilians were killed and injured, witnesses told our Yemen team that there had been no warnings that an attack was imminent", Throssell said.

The contention threatens to undermine their alliance against the coalition seeking to dislodge them from the capital and restore the internationally recognized government of President Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi to power.

Global rights groups have accused the Saudi-led coalition of bombing civilian areas including public gatherings, markets, hospitals and residential areas across Yemen since the aerial campaign against Houthi rebels began in 2015.

Saudi-Qatar Land Border Opens
NAN reports that the transportation of intending pilgrims from Nigeria to Saudi Arabia, for the 2017 Hajj, started on July 31. Now, the Salwa border point will be open for Qatari pilgrims to pass through "without electronic permits".

The conflict has killed more than 10,000 civilians, displaced three million people and pushed the impoverished nation to the brink of starvation. "Attacks targeting civilians or civilian objects are prohibited under worldwide humanitarian law, which also prohibits indiscriminate or disproportionate attacks".

"All operations launched south of Sana'a are being reviewed upon allegations on targeting a home in the district, and results will be announced immediately after the investigation is completed", he added.

Demonstrators, gathered since the early morning in Sabeen Square in central Sanaa to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the formation of Saleh's General People's Congress (GPC), waved flags, signs and pictures of the man who remains one of Yemen's most powerful politicians and military figures. Locals say that a four-year-old girl was the sole survivor in her family, after the air strike killed the other seven members.

The poor country has been also struck by a cholera outbreak, which has killed so far more than 2,000 people.

A combination of war, disease and a coalition blockade have pushed Yemen, long the poorest in the Arab world, to the brink of starvation.

However, a senior ICRC official visited the site of the strike on Friday and said, "From what we saw on the ground, there was no apparent military target".