North Korea is reported to have launched several missiles, heightening tensions

Posted August 29, 2017

The contest was held one day before Pyongyang launched three short-range ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan, all of which failed, according to the US.

Yoshihide Suga, the Japanese government's top spokesman, told reporters in Tokyo Saturday morning: "We confirmed that no ballistic missiles have fallen onto our country's territory or EEZ (exclusive economic zone)". On Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, said he was pleased to see the regime had demonstrated some level of restraint, while President Trump said he respected that Kim Jong-un was starting to respect the U.S. Today's launch could be seen as a rejection of that claim.

In this episode of Jahan Nama, host Massoud Malik discusses the topic with Basir Ahmad Yusufi, an worldwide relations affairs analyst.

They are the first known missile firings since July, when the North successfully flight tested a pair of intercontinental ballistic missiles that analysts say could reach deep into the USA mainland when perfected.

One of the 3 missiles blew up "almost immediately", with none of the weapons posing a threat to either North America or the U.S. territory of Guam, the spokesman said.

Though North Korea says it now has the ability to send missiles to the USA mainland, US defense officials said these short-range missiles did not pose a threat to North America or Guam.

"[The] sanctions target third-country companies and individuals that assist already-designated persons who support North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programs, deal in the North Korean energy trade, facilitate its exportation of workers, and enable sanctioned North Korean entities to access the United States of America and global financial systems", OFAC said in a news release.

Johnson & Johnson Faces Talc Case
Some studies have found a small to moderate increase in cancer risk, but these studies tend to rely on women self-reporting. In a statement, Johnson & Johnson spokeswoman Carol Goodrich said that the company will appeal the jury's decision.

Serving as a warning as to what might happen if Britain becomes involved with the United States and South Korean military exercises, a statement was issued by the Korean Central News Agency on Wednesday, the Mirror reports.

The launches come as tens of thousands of South Korean and U.S. troops take part in joint military drills in the south of the peninsula, which the North views as highly provocative. The US ban on American citizens traveling to North Korea takes effect September 1.

And then two more were fired within the next half an hour.

Meanwhile, Japan says it will impose additional sanctions on North Korea. The North's latest missile provocation comes after two successful ICBM launches last month.

The rival Koreas recently saw their always testy relationship get worse after Pyongyang and President Donald Trump traded warlike threats.

In a conciliatory move before that, Tillerson said the U.S. was willing to sit down for talks with North Korea, but only if it relinquishes its pursuit of nuclear weapons.